What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Newbery Potential?

Wow.  Zane and the Hurricane was phenomenal!   I loved this book so much.  It made me cry and hope and it made me angry and made me more aware. Incredible. Again, this is one of those books that should be read by adults as well.  Just such an fantastic historical fiction book.  Zane is a neat, neat, neat character.  A 12-year-old from New Hampshire who goes to New Orleans to meet his great grandmother (grandma or great, I can't remember) and while he is there he is separated from her and Hurricane Katrina hits.
There is a lot of misery in this book.  It is a dark story about a horrible disaster that brought out the worst in humanity and the best in humanity.  It asks some great questions.  Why did some people act one way and others the opposite?
The supporting characters in the book are wonderful, too.  Young Malvina is a brave, brave girl.  I wish Tru had been my grandpa growing up. Miss Trissy would have been a wonderful grandma.  I love the description Zane gives of her singing.
Here is the Sunday NY Times book review.  Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment