What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Phantasmagorical!

Dory Fantasmagory is getting Newbery buzz and once I read it, I can see why.  It's just that there are SO many great books out this year!  Right now my favorite is Caminar.
The little blurb on goodreads.com, as you can see compares Dory to Junie B. and Ivy and Bean.  Well....I don't know.  I find JBJ and I and B to be very mean girls.  But I didn't see Dory as being mean...yet, there was the incident with the doctor.  But still!
Now maybe it is just my prejudice against JBJ and I and B, but I think it is a great disservice to Dory to compare her to these girls. Dory's a good kid, I think!  I don't think she will be bullying kids at at school, like JBJ and I and B are sure to do once they hit middle school.  
Wait...look at this video I found when I was looking up the world fantasmagory!  As I watched this film, I wondered if Abby Hanlon was influenced by it when she wrote Dory.  I just emailed her.  I hope she answers!  Great, great book with awesome illustrations.  I loved this book so much!  And while it is a girl main character, I do think that dudes would like this, a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment