What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Heartbeat

I wonder if a lot of people remember this show.  I liked it a lot.
I also like Heartbeat by Sharon Creech and I did like My Heartbeat by Garret Freymann-Weyr.
Ellen is Link's younger sister.  She is a sophomore and he is a senior at the same private school.  Link's best friend is James.  Ellen has a major crush on James, but James and Link are in love.  Maybe.  They aren't really sure.
What is really great about this book is that the feelings that these three folks have, they make sense because they are so confused.  Some people are really confused about whom they love.  Is that right?  Or is it who they love?  I have no idea.
Anyway.
A lot of people know that they love guys.  A lot of people know that they love girls.  Some people love guys and girls.  Because for some people, like James says in the book, it isn't about sex for them, it is about the person.  So some people fall in love with a guy if they are girl, some people fall in love with a girl if they are girl.  Some people fall in love with a girl if they are a guy.  Some people fall in love with a guy if they are a guy.
You know, when I type it up like this...it seems even more ludicrous that folks see something sinful in same sex relationships.  I mean...wait a minute, I am having a discovery here.
I didn't write:  Some people persecute girls if they are boys.  "Some people persecute girls if they are girls. Or "Some people hate boys if they are boys.  Some people hate girls if they are boys."
The word is love.  So weird!
But back to the book!
This is a good book and I liked it, but I did find it to be too short.  But then I feel bad because I am usually complaining that a book is too long.  One thing about it that didn't seem to ring very realistic, was that Ellen is only fourteen and she seemed a lot older than fourteen.  She also becomes intimate with Link and it seemed to me that came on very suddenly.  I know that they were friends for a long a time, but that part of it was just seemed a little rushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment