What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Friday, July 21, 2017

No WAY!

Did you know that Judy Collins was named after Judy?  I had no idea!  But it is true!  Cravings:  How I Conquered Food was a book I saw in a library during my recent trip out west.  We were in the library in St. George, Utah and I saw it and immediately downloaded it from audible.  Listening to this book, I completely resonated with everything Ms. Collins said about her problems with food.
I found this book to be really, really good in that I think that Ms. Collins was very humble and informative.  I really disagree with the negative comments I read about this book on goodreads and can only think that those who wrote them have not shared the same battle that Ms. Collins has, but for me, almost every sentence regarding food was met with "Yes!  Yes!  I understand!" from me.
I don't know a lot of Ms. Collin's music.  I do love the songs I do know, just two of them Send in the Clowns and Both Sides Now.   I know that Frank's versions have been panned greatly, but I love them, too.  Ms. Collins's versions are much better, of course, and only they can bring me to tears, literally.  Especially SITC.
I also loved that Collins received a call from Joan Rivers after Collins's son committed suicide.  Joan told her that she had to keep working, like Rivers did when her husband killed himself.  That was our Joan.  Reaching out to people.  Loving them.  She was not the mean person some mistake her to be.
I was also really interested in the background of dieting.  I loved hearing about Lord Byron.  I loved the quotes she chose to introduce each chapter.  I just found this book to be a great book.  I don't think that I could do the Grey Sheet deal.  I don't know if that would help me.
Now that I am struggling maintaining without feeling that I will regain, and thus ruin all my chances of being approved by David Levithan, I am willing to try anything, but I just don't know if Grey Sheet would be more of the same, regarding restricting, or it would be freeing.
In any case, criticisms that Ms. Collins name-drops are kinda weak.  And I think that her whole approach to the book is a humble one.  She is very quick to say that it might work for you, it might not.  I highly recommend this book.
The criticism that those with eating disorders must learn to "make friends with food" rather than "conquer" it is not valid for everyone.  I would that is akin to saying and alcoholic must make friends with Jack Daniels or a heroin addict must learn to just hang out with opioids.  Just something to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment