What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Night with Beth Cooper

can get you nearly killed and arrested, but it will be a night to remember. I Love You, Beth Cooper is a very fresh and funny book that reads like a silly teen movie. It won't win any lit awards, but it is worth the time and it made me laugh out loud. It is completely unbelievable for the most part, though the characterizations of teenagers are believable enough-- as least how teens were when I was one.
The whole book chronicles less than 24 hours in the life of a Denis Cooverman, valedictorian of his high school class. During his commencement speech he reveals his love for head cheerleader, Beth Cooper. Denis isn't exactly Beth's type. He's captain of the debate team, prone to serious bouts of sweating and he has one friend, but on graduation night he does end up spending quality time with Ms. Cooper and hilarity ensues. The book became a movie and the author has written for a ton of tv shows, The Simpsons among them. I haven't seen the movie, but I doubt it is as funny as the book. Great, light reading and a lot of funny cultural references that will date the book for sure, but are still pretty cool now, so read it before it gets old!

No comments:

Post a Comment