What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It's Not About Incontinence

A Sense of Urgency sounds like it is PR for Toviaz but it isn't. I think that a Toviaz tome would actually be more interesting.
The premise of Sense is a good one. In fact, when I read the first thirty pages I thought WOW! This is so great! This guy is awesome like Jim Collins, author of Good to Great and How the Mighty Fall!
Then I read the second thirty pages and found that they were exactly the same as the first thirty page. Then I moved on to the third thirty pages and found that they, too, were pretty much the same as the first thirty pages. And so on, and so on, so that I am still struggling to finish this book.
Like I said, the premise is great. Organizational leaders need to create a real sense of urgency among their members in the face of the rapid change all around us. Change or die, right? Everyone in the organization needs to realize this. They need to want to move, and win, now! I totally agree. I want to foster a real sense of urgency in my work and personal life. But Kotter doesn't really say HOW and when he does say how, he does so with really vague examples like, "a man in the IT department of a company..." and "a young woman said". I have no idea why he doesn't talk about actual facts or show data. There isn't even an appendix in the book!
The book of Jim Collins, on the other hand, are full of data- full of proof. Collins does research first, then comes up with theory. This guy has this theory and then offers a bunch of vague anecdotes as proof. But none of his anecdotes are very exciting. It is weird because Kotter's website lists a TON of companies that have sought his help. It seems like he just wanted to get the book out quickly, without the worry of a silly appendix or proof, or hey, even an index!
I still want to move, win, now! And my greatest sense of urgency is to finish this book.
UPDATE
I am STILL not done with this book.
I can't believe it.
It is going on and on forever.
Another thing that I sense that is really wrong with Kotter is that he has an obsession with youth. More than that, I think he is very ageist. When he compares to managers, one a younger man and one an older man, he does more than hint that the older man is not as embracing of the "sense of urgency" ideals simply because of his age. As an older person, this really offends me.
I think about one of the best books I have read about management, The Nordstrom Way to Customer Service Excellence and I think about how different Nordstrom's views are from Kotter's. I'm not saying that Nordstrom doesn't have a sense of urgency, what I mean is, in the little messages in Kotter's book, the off-handed remarks that give insight into Kotter's belief system, there are many difference between Kotter's way and the Nordstrom Way- especially when it comes to valuing individuals.
Anyway...another day has come and I am still not done with this book.
The end is near, but there are still 20 pages to go and I am suffering with each one.
I am pretty sure that the only footnote I have seen references another one of Kotter's books. This is just lazy. What a mess this book is. What a mess I am.
I am writing an unbiased review here-- I have already started to implement some of his ideas. I am simply saying that this book could have been a pamphlet.
UPDATE
It is finished.
What a miserable mess. What a weak, terrible ending as well.
And yes, there was one more footnote to be had-- yet another Kotter book was referenced.
Also, another terribly funny/sad thing that Kotter does is talk about this mysterious tool called the Internet. He tells us that there is a lot of information to be found on it. Why don't we starting looking at it today. I will have to find out more about this Internet thing. Thanks, Kotter. And when you publish a new book, I will definitely not be welcoming you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment