What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Ah man...you just KNOW Jesus is mad!

Every time I read about the horrible stuff that people do in the name of God, it just makes me so sad and sick. And I can even imagine how mad Jesus gets when He reads it. Horrible hate sites like this and this (which at first glance looks pretty harmless, just something put out there by a dim-witted dweeb, but look at the scathing, anti-Catholic hate messages for just one example of the nasty stuff that is on this site.) The Chosen One is a fictionalized account of something we read about in the news every so often: polygamist, religious compounds. Kinda like "ripped from the headlines" Law & Order. Kyra is thirteen and has four moms and one dad and about a million half brothers and sisters. They are members of a chained up, guarded compound led by Prophet Childs- a dude who gets visions from God telling him to burn books and marry pre-teen girls off to dudes in their 60s.
This is a powerful and disturbing book One of the heroes is the book mobile driver so that is pretty cool. The book also talks about the books Kyra reads that help her through the tough times and inspire her to keep going. I didn't mind this like I did in that terrible book Wintergirls, because it isn't forced and butt-kissy.
Chosen would be a great book discussion book and even though it is painful it is quick read.

No comments:

Post a Comment