What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Big Pointy Teeth

Carrie Ryan has written a true horror novel in The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I don't think I realized that when I first picked it up. I guess I was thinking it was more along the lines of Graceling- an adventure story, you know? Or maybe I thought it would be like dystopian like Hunger Games. But this baby is horror for sure. If you remember that, you'll enjoy the book.
It definitely is dystopian- Forest takes place sometime way, way, way in the future after zombies called The Unconsecrated take over the world. Mary lives in a village surrounded by fences to keep the Unconsecrated out. She's a bit of a rebel though and doesn't like to live by the rules set forth by a bunch of nuns called The Sisterhood.
At times while I was reading Forest I thought man, this is just too much. There were times when I thought it was comically bad even, with WAY too many things going wrong, but that was when I realized that it's a horror story and not supposed to be like Hunger or Graceling or anything else. In a horror story the horror IS too much- that's what makes it horror, right?
Also, in a horror story, sometimes it's hard to find the main character likable. That is the case here for sure. Mary is REALLY hard to like. Her whole romance deal with Travis and Harry, it is all super annoying. But still, it's a horror story, so who cares? And this horror story is worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment