What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Fake Heart Attack

So yeah, I was in the hospital this week. It was not a very fun time, but I want to say that everyone at UPMC Passavant was incredible. From the wonderful nurses in the ER to the doctors, to the food service folks, transport people (the folks who wheel you from your room to a test and back again) everyone was fantastic.
I never had a fake heart attack before this one. I truly thought I was having one. I had all of the symptoms that I read on Google. I mean, if Google says it is so, it has to be so, right? And so I drove over to Passavant and plopped myself down in the ER with my chest pains, shortness of breath, nausea, jaw pain, dizziness and the rest.
They ran me through a bunch of tests, blood tests, an x-ray, a CT scan, a stress test, echocardiogram, EKG, KGB, FDS, LBJ, NTSB, you name it, I had it.
Here's the diagnosis.
Are you sitting down?
I'm fat.
Yeah. Amazingly, my heart and lungs are in good shape! I was really thankful for that and very shocked. It isn't like I treat my body like a temple. But man, this really was a wake up call for me. I am going to go through with the Bariatric Surgery at St. Maggie's, that I was planning to back out of for the millionth time. Yeah, I am going to do it. My next appointment is May 10 so we'll get a surgery date set for sure.
It might have also been a stomach virus. They really aren't sure but I am starting to feel better, finally.
The other thing is much more painful, but I am going to give up smoking. I am going to try Chantix and electronic cigarettes. Next Wednesday I go back to my PCP, Dr. Jose George to get the Chantix and so we go from there.
The beautiful thing that happened this week was that I was able to count my blessings, namely the amazing people in my life, my friends. I work with the most caring people in the world, at both of my jobs. And I am thanking God for them now and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment