What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Would be a good movie!

LouAnne Johnson, author of Muchacho, is probably one of those names that starts you thinking, "Where have I heard that name before?" or "Doesn't she have something to do with Weird Al?" The second question's answer is yes! Do you remember the song Amish Paradise? Of course you do. And knowing the song, you know that it is a parody of Ganster's Paradise, which of course is from the totally amazing movie Dangerous Minds which is based on the book My Posse Don't Do Homework, which of course is written by LouAnne Johnson!
I saw this book on a list someplace in School Library Journal. It was an ALSC and YALSA Book Pick. But don't worry...I'm not getting all serious about reading only the recommended books. I picked it because it was less than 200 pages.
This book is the story of Eddie who lives in New Mexico and it is told in the first person as Eddie talks about how he is a tough guy but then he meets a girl, Lupe, and that changes everything. She is really smart and focused on the future and so Eddie starts to turn over a new leaf. The book is really good but I was reading it when I was in the hospital with a fake heart attack and so maybe that is why I didn't LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I wish I wouldn't have read it in the hospital, maybe I would have enjoyed it more. Still I highly recommend it and I gave it 4 of 5 stars on goodreads.
Eddie is a totally lovable character and he is very believable. I also learned a lot about the so-called Mexican-American War, which in Mexico is called the American Invasion of Mexico and man, you will see why if you are uninformed and don't know already!
I am not into romance, as I say in just about every review, but as I am reading some of these romancy books, I am reminded of the first time I fell in love. Ah, Leo...wonderful memories...and I am actually enjoying the remembering!

No comments:

Post a Comment