What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Horn is Gone

It is hard sometimes when folks die at an old age. I know that sounds weird, but think about it. When someone dies people ask, "How old was he/she?" and when the answer is 92, the response if usually, "Oh. Well, yeah, he/she was old." or "He/she lived a good long life." and that is true, but it somehow takes something...even if it is just a little something away from their death. Like I was saying about Dear Zoe, you know?
So yeah, Lena Horne was 92. And she hadn't been touring or making records for awhile now...but still...she's gone. And it is weird and it is a loss.
I was first introduced to The Horn when I was 17 and working at a public library. Lena Horne's The Lady cd had been brought back by a patron who said it was scratched. This was 1989 and not everyone had a cd player and so I offered to take it home to listen to and see what the deal was. I never brought it back. I checked it out for a long time and then ended up paying for it because I lost it. Just after Ms. Horne died I found a copy on amazon for 5.99. I can't believe how lucky I am because this is an amazing cd. From that night in 1989 when I first heard Horne sing Stormy Weather, I was hooked. Just like with Judy I enjoy the later recordings, the sound of a more mature singer.
A few years ago while watching a dvd of The Judy Garland Show I saw/heard this. Brilliance. I read in one place, I can't recall where, nor can I find anything now to back it up, that Lena didn't like Judy much. The book or article or whatever it was said that Lena was someone who liked to be prepared and practice, whereas Judy was kind of a fly by the seat of her pants kind of performer. I hope it isn't true. I hope they got along very well. Otherwise I can't like Lena Horne. On the other hand, now that Lena is resting in peace, gone Home to her Savior, I am sure she and Judy buried any hatchet that may have existed and are probably singing together, right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment