What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, June 14, 2010

The (mean) Girls

well, not all of the the girls in The Girls are mean. Some are just insecure or going through their own troubles or confused. But when you are a girl on the other side of their insecurity/troubles/confusion/etc. that manifests itself in meanness it seems nothing but hateful and horrible.
Written from the perspective of five girls the book tells the story of what happens when the "ring leader" girl decides that she, and her whole gang of course, are suddenly going to ostracize one of the other girls. The book is kinda painful really. I listened to it on cd and when I started it I almost stopped because the beginning Maya starts out with Maya finding out that all of her gang has been invited to a sleepover and she hasn't. Her pain is so real man, like when you think about what it feels like at that age--- heck, no wait a minute-- at ANY age to have that horrible feeling that all of your friends are mad at you. Ugh.
But I am glad that I read the whole thing, because it does turn itself around. A great tween or early teen book.

No comments:

Post a Comment