What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Graphic Novel Kick or Comic Kick

The first time I got hooked on a comic book or graphic serial novel or whatever you want to call it was with The Runaways. I was at a meeting and the chick running it started talking about this series of teenage superheroes who are at war with their parents who are supervillians. I blew through a bunch of the collected issues but then, as I do, I lost interest. Still, that experience left me with a good feeling and every once in awhile I wonder what happened to those kids!
Last week I was talking to a young college student and found out that she is a big Runaways fan so I ordered me up some Runaways to read. She also suggested I try Local and it was sooooooooo good! I thought that it YA but I didn't see that it is recommended as such, but it is recommended!
It is a bunch of different stories that were all themselves different comic book issues and now are together in one giant book. The common thread is Megan who is kind of a vagabond, running all around the US and Canada trying to figure out who she is. The stories are great, tight, original, at times heart breaking, at times violent. The art work is outstanding, I mean...I say that not really knowing about comic art, but I know what I like and I loved this.

No comments:

Post a Comment