What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The best? The best-best?

Hmm...okay. So yeah, I REALLY liked Fly on the Wall by E. Lockhart who wrote Dramarama and How to be Bad with Mlynoski and Myracle. I loved those, too. And I did read Fly in one sitting. But the cover of the book has a quote from John Green who wrote Will Grayson, Will Grayson with David Levithan, which I really, really loved and the quote says that Green thinks Fly might be the best YA book he's ever read. I don't know...I mean, I really liked it. Five star on goodreads and everything, but the BEST? I don't know. I don't think it will make my most favorite 25 of the year if I do one. I will be interested to see what does, if I do make such a list. Maybe I need to think about it more. Gretchen is a seventeen year old gal at the Manhattan School for the Arts and she is kind of on the fringe. Not a lot of friends, having trouble at home, boy trouble, too, grade trouble. Nothing huge or life-threatening, but life just isn't so great right now for Gretchen. She remarks to her friend Katya that she doesn't understand guys and she wishes she could be a fly on the wall of the boys' lockroom. Well...sometimes wishes come true.The book is very funny in a lot of places. And G is a sympathetic character. And it is an original, quick read. Will it make the top 25? Maybe. I need to think about it some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment