What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Don't Shed a Tear

Years and years ago I went some place and heard Patrick Jones speak about serving teens in libraries. I'll never forget the story he told to open up his lecture. He started off with something like "They smell funny. They're rude and demanding. They look strange. You You almost cringe when they walk into the library." Pause. Like a preacher, finishing his or her opening story of a sermon. "But we aren't here to talk about geneaologists." And we all laughed. And like a successful preacher, he had caught our attention and we were his for the rest of his talk. I was impressed and inspired by him. Also by what he wore. Jeans and very long hair. A simple t-shirt. Years later when I would have the honor of speaking at local, state and by the grace of God, national conferences, I would remember Patrick Jones and dress as I felt comfortable and be myself. And somehow, again, by the grace of God, it worked. So thank you, Patrick Jones.
I don't know where I've been, but I didn't know that Mr. Jones was writing YA books himself. He has been for some time. Only last Friday did I stumble upon his sixth book for teens, The Tear Collector. I am thankful that I did. This is quite a disturbing little book. With no easy or clear-cut answers or obvious heroes. The ending is very disturbing and I hope I'll find others who have read it, so that I can talk about it with them. Cassandra is an emotional vampire, no, not like Margaret and her friends and family, but she is a creature who lives off of the pain and suffering of humans, literally. In order for her to live she must collect the tears of others. She also has to take a handkerchief home and "feed" her great-grandmother with the tears she collects. To gather the necessary tears she volunteers at a hospital, works as a peer counselor and engages in the normal, trauma and drama filled life ofhigh school. There she breaks guys' hearts and befriends girls who need a shoulder to cry on. Gruesome, is it not? Talk about co-dependancy! Is her life a metaphor for seminary students and hospice workers from a cynic's perspective? Shudder. I told you thisbook was troubling! Cass finds herself in a bit of a jam, however, when she meets Scott. She begins to, maybe, perhaps, fall in love. What she must do though, if she wants to become truly human is beyond comprehension. I don't want to say anymore. I hope I've tempted you enough to read this troublesome book. It is, indeed, a horror novel.
Oh yeah...and Don't Shed a Tear is a good song...so 80s.

2 comments:

  1. Dude. PJ? No. Way. No. Way. Mr. Jones??? You are a true hero of mine. Ohhh my. I loved your book. You are a brilliant man!

    ReplyDelete