What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Should Have Read It

I think that Jerry Spinelli is a really great man.  I love his books and I have had the blessing of meeting him a couple of times.  His wife, Eileen, is an incredible person as well.  Once upon a time, a million years ago, I had the pleasure of introducing her at an award luncheon when she won the Carolyn Field Award for her amazing book Do You Have a Hat?  I was so nervous!  I mean she is a seriously awesome writer and I am well, me.  But she is so wonderfully gracious that she instantly put me at ease.  We sat at the "head table" and both agreed how hard that was because how are you supposed to eat such great food when all of those people are looking at you!  She was unreal in her compliments about my introduction her, which, I am sure, fell far, far from capturing her greatness.  I hope I will get to meet the Spinellis again.  They are wonderful people and the world is a better place because of their willingness to share their talents with us.
I was happy to see Who Put That Hair in My Toothbrush by Mr. Spinelli on the shelf with the other books on CD. But when I listened to it, I was so put off by the readers that it took me a long time to get through the book.  I loved the book, especially the ending, but the man and woman who read the parts of Greg and Megin, rival brother and sister...man...I don't know...they were not my cup of tea.  The woman who reads Megin's part also did Pinballs and I remember not liking her so much then, either. 
Well, why should I focus on the negative?  All I am saying is, if you want to read this book (and you should, it's really good) then be sure to read it and not listen to it.
Greg is 14 and Megin is 12.  They engage is the usual sibling rivalry, but it doesn't come across as boring or hackneyed or same-old-same-old.  Greg's story of finding his first love and nagivating the waters of a crush is spot-on, hilarious and touching at the same time.  Megin's relationship with a woman in a nursing home actually brought a tear to my eye (REALLY hard to do).
I didn't expect some of the things that happened to happen.  And that is always a good sign.  Hooray for Mr. Spinelli.  Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment