What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, April 4, 2011

It's Kinda Private...

So Private is a series that I can't stop reading now and I'm glad.  I needed to get back into the game!  Private is an amazingly guilty pleasure series.  It's a lot like The Clique or The Sorority Trilogy (well without the hocus-pocus).  There are "cool" girls and girls who want to be cool, even though the cool girls are really mean girls.  The Zombie Blondes if you will.  Oh no, no, no, no!  Make no mistake.  These girls at The Easton School, a private co-ed high school in Connecticut, are NOTHING like The Four PTSs!  No way!  I mean, no one is that mean!  Morally bankrupt.  Did I ever call Margaret and her evil friends that before?  If not, I should have.  Oh but I don't want to think about them this close to bedtime.  Let me get back to nicer girls.  Girls like The Billings Girls, the girls who live in the most exclusive dorm at Easton.  The ones who all go on to be members of the Senate or movie stars.  The ones who plot to have one another thrown out of school or get their professors fired.  The ones who play incredibly mean tricks on one another all to prove "loyalty."  These girls are nasty, but they sure ain't Judy Blume's devil girls! 
I am completely obsessed with this series. 
Reed is from the Middle of Nowhere, PA and she's got a very bummed-out home life.  Her dad is a nice guy and her brother is a nice guy, too.  He's off at Penn State, so she doesn't seem much anyway, but all three of them have to deal with mom who is a drug addict.  I read in one review that it was weird that Reed was so unsympathetic toward her mother in this regard.  While I agree with other parts of the review (I mean this book is NOT great literature at all!)  I completely disagree with the reviewer questioning Reed's attitude toward her mom's addition.  Reed is obviously not an overly caring teen as it is and even the most caring teens might have tough time feeling warm and snuggly toward a mother who is an addict.  But that's just my opinion.
So Reed, wanting badly to escape life in the Middle of Nowhere applies and is accepted to Easton Academy.  It's a bit overwhelming for her.  Everything from the glamour of the rich kids and their lives (she is a scholarship student) to the difficulty of the classes.
It's not easy to like Reed, but maybe I just compare everyone to Margaret Simon and in doing so, everyone else looks like a saint. 
Easy to read.  Quick.  Not believable.  But fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment