What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

What's Forever For?

Does anything last forever?  What's Forever For is a good, sad song.  It reminds me also of the poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay."  I wish I could say that I am such a student of the arts that I just knew about "Nothing Gold Can Stay" because of my familiarity with the work of Robert Frost, but actually I know about the poem from that awesome scene in the movie The Outsiders when the very hot and loveable greasers talk about the meaning of the poem.  I know it was in the book, too and I love the book, but I really remember the movie part about it. 
I must say that nothing on this earth lasts forever.  Not the Dewey Decimal System (thank goodness) and not earthly love.  The only thing that lasts is God and God's love.  But you know what?  That is okay!  Because that is all we need.
Okay. 
But it does look like The Darlings are going to be around for a long time...at least I hope so!  The Darlings are Forever is the first book in a new series by Melissa Kantor who wrote Girlfriend Material
The Darlings are three friends, all new freshmen at different schools in and around NYC.  Jane, Victoria and Natalya are very different girls.  Jane is the arty one, the actress, attending a performing arts high school.  Natalya is the brain, attending a very prestigious private high school on scholarship.  Victoria is attending a private school, too and is in the media spotlight because of her father's run for a very important Senate seat.
Going to different schools after eight grades together is bound to put a strain on their relationship, along with the fact that each of the girls is having a tough time fitting in and figuring out where they stand in their own school.
The Darlings are NOTHING like the 4 PTSs which is why I will read the next book in the series for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment