What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Man, that was great!

Hidden was wow.  I admit I judged this book by its cover and I didn't think I would like it.  I thought it looked too anime for me.  But wow.  Wow. Wow. Wow.  This book was fantastic.  I read it so quickly and then wanted to go back and read it again.  And then I read the author's note and read the "story within a story" and wow.  Again.  WOW!  What a book!  Written in verse, it goes quickly and draws the reader right in with one of the most original stories I have read in a long time. 
When Wren was eight she was hiding the back of her mom's car when it was stolen during a robbery.  She was forced to hide out in the thief's garage and plan her escape.  The thief has a daughter about Wren's age and though the girls didn't see each other during Wren captivity, they know about each other and have thought about each other over the years.  Now, five years later they come face to face at summer camp.  The verse explores their feelings as they deal with the past and the present.  What a book.  I also learned that the author, Helen Frost wrote Keesha's House which I really enjoyed as well.  This must be in the running for the Printz Award.

No comments:

Post a Comment