What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Glass

Faces of Meth, a play on the old Faces of Death movies from the 80s is a serious taste of reality. I don't think that anyone could see what meth does to people and then try it themselves. I just don't understand how that can happen.
I've been blessed. I've never fallen into the snares of drug addiction. Well that's not true, as nicotine is a drug, and a mighty powerful one, isn't it? I have been tobacco free since May of 2010, thanks be to God, though. I don't drink, and like I said, I'm not a drug-user. Parts of Glass by Ellen Hopkins caused me to be very judgemental. Glass is the second in a trilogy about Kristina Snow, a girl who had a great future, until she started using meth. I didn't read the first book, Crank, but as I listened to Glass, I felt the author did a good job of bringing the reader up to speed. Kristina's story is a first-person account, told in verse of a descent into what I can only call a serious kind of hell. Her addiction ruins all of her relationships, her body, her mind. The loneliness of her story is incredible. Laura Flanagan does the reading of the book she is just excellent. I read some place that Hopkins has a daughter who is a recovering meth addict. I can't imagine the pain that must bring. I hated myself for being so angry with Kristina. It's so easy for me to judge. This is such a powerful warning against trying it even once that I feel like it should be required reading for tweens before it is too late. The story is definitely hard core though, very graphic for a tween. But how do you get the word out early enough? How do you stop even one kid from trying a drug like this? Powerful book. Gritty and real.

No comments:

Post a Comment