What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Life Saver

Sara Zarr is one of those authors whose website I check out often, looking to see if she has anything new going coming out. Story of a Girl was a terrific book and I loved, loved, LOVED Once Was Lost.
How to Save a Life is Zarr's latest and it is another completely original story with well-developed characters you really come to care about pretty quickly.
HTSAL is told from two POVs. Mandy, a pregnant teen from Council Bluffs, Iowa and Jill, an only child from a wealthy suburb in Denver. Jill has lost her father to a car accident eleven months ago and now her mother has decided to openly adopt Mandy's baby. She met Mandy on the internet and agreed to no contracts, no lawyers, no social workers, etc.
Jill is cynical and seriously still grieving her dad. She is suspicious of Mandy's real motives. Mandy is a lost soul, pretty much, her mother is a such an extreme jerk and has told her never to come back.
This is a very beautiful story of broken lives and broken people and healing. Great book. Made me cry, which is tough to do. Well, for a book!

No comments:

Post a Comment