What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Friday, March 9, 2012

She's Disenchanted


The Disenchantments is the name of a fabulously bad, but enthusiastic girl band, based in San Francisco, headed out on their first, and maybe last, tour up the coast of Cali. Bev is the lead singer and lead guitar. Sisters Meg and Alexa play bass and drums. Colby, Bev's best friend, is kinda the manager, kinda the head roadie and madly in love with Bev. Meg, Bev and Colby have just graduated from their fine arts high school, and are off in Colby's Uncle Pete's VW bus to play the tour and then drop Meg off at college in Portland. I feel sorry for that girl, four years in Portland!
Bev and Colby are then scheduled to tour Europe for a year, something they have been planning for four years.
Things change though, much to Colby's surprise, and there is much soul-searching and discovery that takes place in the week-long tour.
I enjoyed The Disenchantments a lot. All of the characters are very real and likable, especially Colby, the narrator. I remember what it was like to be young, like Colby, and wondering where the future will lead. I guess as I got older, like many do, I came to have less hope and fewer dreams for this life and I put all my hope into the next one, the eternal one. There are many more miles left behind me, than I have yet to go (great song) and so it was hard to relate to Colby, as there is a lot of living ahead of him. That doesn't mean though that I didn't wholly appreciate him, cheer for him and admire him. He is one special, smart young man and The Disenchantments' West Coast Tour is well worth attending.
I am definitely going to be looking for more from Nina LaCour.
Oh and a big plus were the references to songs and artists. Everyone from Sleater-Kinney to one of my most favorite bands, The Chiffons.

No comments:

Post a Comment