What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Mary Downing Hahn IS Scary!

I've read a few MDH books and I always end up shivering and thinking, "Man...this is a creepy story!" and when I recommend them to kids I am always sure to ask if they mind getting creeped out, because even though MDH is a children's author, there is a lot of misery and mayhem in the books that I have read.    The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall is no exception.  I listened to this one on cd and it is narrated by Sarah Coomes and she does a terrific job.  I am not much for off-putting Briticisms and so at first I felt like Prof. Higgins wondering, "Why can't the English learn to speak!" but after awhile I was so caught up in the story and the way that Coomes read it that I forgot about it.  Also, she does a great job on the Uncle's voice!  The grammar of the servant girl, "Is her here?  Where is her?" reminded me of a foster "parent" I used to know.  This "parent" really talked that way and she had a master's degree which makes you wonder.  But after I put that out of my head, I was able to enjoy this story of Florence, a young orphan who lived in a orphanage until her Uncle sent for her to live at the family's estate, Crutchfield Hall.  The thing about Crutchfield Hall though, is that it is haunted by a NASTY ghost.  The ghost of Sophie, her twelve year old cousin who died in an accident the year before.  Sophie is ghastly and wants to cause serious harm to her brother.  She believes that if he dies, she will come back to life.  Great, great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment