What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Thought-Provoking Questions

Okay here is one:
1. If you dislike your family, are you obligated to spend time with them? Show up at family functions? Help them out in their time of need? Is a family even relevant anymore – especially when you have a close circle of friends?
This is from the site:  Plug in to Your Identity!
I think that this is a good question.  I knew a person who was very big into "family time" and "family obligations" even though this person bad-mouthed his/her family all of the time.  I asked more than once, while listening to a monologue about his/her evil family, "Why do you spend time with them?" and was told, "They are family."
One of the comments on the website says, "it depends on why you don't like them."
I agree with this.  I mean, if your family is a gang of hired killers, or if they are thieves and weenies, then I can see why you wouldn't want to hang out with them, and no, you shouldn't have to hang with them at all.  
Say that your family is abusive.  Are you obligated to be abused?  I don't think so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment