What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Dreams


 Man.  Walter Dean Myers he is something else. The Dream Bearer is a great book for dudes and for all.  Set in Harlem, as are many of Myers's books, this tells the story of Danny who is twelve years old and growing up with a father who has mental health issues (maybe) and a brother who is experimenting with selling drugs and a man he and his best friend meet in the park who claims to be over 300 years old and a "bearer of dreams."

There is so much going on in this book and so much to talk about:  gentrification, racism, becoming a US citizen, drugs, father-son stuff, becoming a man stuff.  It is all so well done and causes the reader to really think, see things in a different light and question the status quo.  Man I enjoyed this book.  It just made me FEEL smarter after having read it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment