What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Ghost from the Past

A million years ago I was told that Jade Green was a very good book.  I never picked it up.  Don't know why.  It is quite short.  It has a good cover.  It's about ghosts!  But I never even picked it up.  But there it was, on the shelf, looking like such a lovely thin book.  And even though it is set a million years ago, when there were still carriages instead of cars, I am glad that I did.  The language was that old-timey kind, told in the first person, and I didn't care for that, but I still did like the story of Judith Sparrow, a recently orphaned young girl who must move from Ohio to South Carolina to live with her uncle.  Her uncle is a nice dude and lives in a huge old mansion with a sweet house keeper.  Judith also has a rotten cousin, much older than she.  Cousin Charles is a lazy, womanizing dirtball.  He lives in town, but still comes over to freeload food.  He really doesn't like having Judith around, you can tell right away.  But the bigger problem is that when Judith was told she could come live with her uncle, she was told not to bring anything green with her.  Weird?  Yes.  Did she sneak something green into the house?  Yes.  Does she regret it.  You could say that.  Judith learns about Jade Green, a young girl who lived in the house and all was great and rosy--until she killed herself.  Judith knows that the bann of green things probably has to do with Jade Green- the name and all, but she can't figure it out.  At first. 
This book was in the kids' section, but there is an attempted rape and some things that some little kids aren't probably ready for, like I don't know. 
Anyway, it is South Carolina! 

No comments:

Post a Comment