What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Friday, January 25, 2013

New Series for Young Teens and Tweens.

Two-Faced is the second book in the Almost Identical series which follows the lives of twins, Sammie and Charlie.  I have the first book on hold at my library, but I didn't feel like I was lost when I read this second book.  The girls are junior highers at a high-brow school in a beach town in California.  Their father is the tennis pro in a gated community and so the family lives there as well, even though they don't have the kinda bucks that the read of the families do.  This book is told from the POV of Charlie who is the more "popular" twin.  Great book, looking forward to reading the first and the third, which is due out soon!  It is a book like this that makes me look even more critically upon books like Blubber and AYTGIMM.  Are there bullies in both books?  Yes.  Are the non-bullying kids perfect?  No.  Are there redeeming qualities in all of the characters?  Yes.  The Blume characters aren't characters so much as caricatures.    But in a book like this, you see a more balanced view of each of the kids.  Like in real life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment