What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Friday, June 21, 2013

It's Judy Blume and I Didn't Hate It!

Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself is a neat little historical fiction book and I was pleasantly surprised to find Sally very likable!  Definately not a PTS.  Blume says that Sally is the character that she finds most autobiographical.  So maybe Judy Blume was a really nice kid who had to deal with a lot of jerks and that's why she writes characters like the PTSs and the rotten toads in Blubber.  This book is set right after WW2 and Sally and her mom, brother and grandmother get an apartment in Miami Beach for the sake of her brother's health.  The book shows a great sibling relationship.  The only part I really cringed over was the continual use of the really gross word for a woman's chest.  Just totally unnecessary and made me go "blah" every time I heard it.  I listened to the book, read by the author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment