What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Food Journeys

I
So Giada De Laurentiis is writing kids books now!  Recipe for Adventure #1 Naples!  Is her first one, the next one is Paris!  De Laurentiis was at ALA Chicago, but I didn't see her, but I did get a galley of Naples!
The premise of these books is interesting.  Alfredo and Emilia and Italian-American siblings who are introduced to real Italian cooking by their Aunt Zia.  When they take a bite of her zeppole, they are transported to present-day Naples where they help a family in trouble.  It's kinda a Magic Tree House meets The Food Network meets Whatever After.  There are also recipe cards in the back.  The only thing that bugged me a little is that brother, even though he is younger is painted as the hero and Emilia is worried and nervous and all of that.  It was just kind of weird in a modern book, so lopsided was the balance between brother and sister. Also I really don't much care for the television persona of Giada. There is something nasty in the way she comes across.  Her treatment is Food Network Star contestant Lovely was unkind and puzzling.  Very troubling to me.  There was just a sense that there was something rotten in the state of Italy when it came to the way she dismissed this particular finalist. I wonder if others picked up on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment