What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Underwhelming

Well I can't say I am suprised.  The Youth Media Award winners are here
I was happy with some. 
Year of Billy Miller and Doll Bones getting Newbery Honors.  Good deal.  I haven't read Flora and Ulysses, but I am looking forward to it after my magical experience with Edward Tulane.   No mention at all of The Boy on the Porch and what really should have won, if we are all honest, P.S. Be Eleven, if not on its own merit, just because of the horrible 1954-like tragedy that was Moon Over Manifest.   P.S. did win the Coretta Scott King, which is wonderful, but man...man...man...it really should have gotten the Newbery.  Or maybe time has shown us that the Coretta Scott King award is a more prestigious, educated award.  Why hope for a Newbery if it is just going to keep overlooking books that are clearly outstanding.  Look at who won the Virginia Hamilton Lifetime Achievement Award, the VERY VERY VERY deserving Patricia and Fredrick McKissack.  LOVE LOVE LOVE Patricia McKissack.  Especially The Honest to Goodness Truth.  Mr. McKissack died last year, but we know he is celebrating now! 
As for the Caldecott Award.  Nothing I had hoped for even got an honor.  But I can't deny that Locomotive isn't very, very deserving. 
Very excited to see Watermelon Seed get the Theodor Seuss Geisel Award and to see Tim Federle get a Stonewall honor for Better Nate Than Ever!  And how cool that Help for the Haunted got an Alex
I am super excited to read Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass!  And I was happy to see Pancho Rabbit and the Coyote:  a migrant's tale get both author and illustrator Belpré honors. 
The Printz Award was the biggest shock for me.  I really thought that Eleanor and Park would win.  Ah I just can't even go on anymore.  Underwhelmed, indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment