What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Was expecting something else...

Beth Fantaskey is a wonderful writer and gracious and kind woman.   I don't "know" her but I have met many authors over the years and meeting Ms. Fantaskey was a delight.   Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, Jessica Rules the Dark Side and Jekel Loves Hyde were books that I absolutely loved.  I couldn't put them down.  It has been so long since Fantaskey had a book, I just couldn't wait to read Buzz Kill
I had expectations that were way too high and that was very unfair.  That's why I didn't rate this as high as her other books. 
Buzz Kill can't be compared to Fantaskey's other books.  This one is completely different.  While the others were paranormal, fantasy-type stories, this one is a mystery that will appeal to those who like the Red Blazer Girls or the Gallagher Girls or the newer, Also Known As series by Robin Benway.  For me, it just didn't work.  Millie is seventeen, the only child of the mayor of their small, Pennsylvania town.  Her father is also the assistant football coach.  The head coach is murdered and her father is one of the main suspects.  Millie is determined to prove her father innocent and find out who the real murderer is. 
I will buy it though, because I know it will appeal to others.  I hope that Fantaskey will return to her paranormal writing.  I would love to hear how Jessica is doing!  Millie was sort of the anti-Jessica.  Very unappealing and whiny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment