What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

If Only I Hadn't Seen Nell

I finally read the first book in The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series, The Mysterious Howling.  I have always loved the cover, drawn by Jon Klassen.  And now I see that there are illustrations in the book, which I totally must look at because I missed them, being that I listened to this one!  Klassen is super, super amazing!  But I have to say, I really did enjoy the listening as well.  The reader did a great, great job.   Katherine Kellgren is her name.  Awesome!   I never wanted to read it though because it seemed long and I thought it was going to be too much like School of Fear.  Which I did like, but I stopped at the first one.
Anyway, this book was recommended to me by a gal named Gracie who reads everything and anything and really never steers me wrong, so downloaded it!
I gave this four of five stars because of the movie Nell.  This was a terrible, terrible movie.  Well I don't know if it was terrible, but it disturbed me so much!  And then there was the movie Mama, which I really liked even though it was super disturbing.  But when I started this book I had just left the house after seeing a bit of the Dr. Phil episode about the boy who was abused and kept under the stairs of his father's house.  So when I started listening to this book and realized the whole premise is that three children were discovered living in the woods, having been raised by wolves...well, it made me kinda ill.  But then I know I am being weird.  But still...it just hung over it for me.  And kept it from being a 5 of 5.
The thing is, this book is really smart and funny.  And the children are wonderful, as is their nanny.  Maybe if I just hadn't seen Nell and Mama and Dr. Phil...

No comments:

Post a Comment