What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sometimes assigned reading is just assigned reading.

Maybe because I had to read Deaf Child Crossing when I just got a copy of The Love Curse of the Rumbaughs and REALLY wanted to dig into that, I wasn't all that into DCC. I read it for the online class I'm taking and I knew I wouldn't love it like Joey P., because, well....Joey Pigza is Joey Pigza, but it was an okay book and I read it in little time, because is it really short. It is written by actress Marlee Martin and it just goes to show that just because you're a good actress, that doesn't mean you'll be an good author.
A lot of the characters in the book seem like they would be perfect candidates for the four PTSs, especially Megan, the main character, a who is ten. So while she might be a little young to hang with Margaret Satan- I mean Simon, she is getting there! But the difference between Megan and the 4 PTSs I guess is that the author is trying to show, maybe some of Megan's meanness comes from her having to adapt as a deaf child in a hearing world. I mean, I can't even imagine how that would be, of course. Megan gets frustrated because she doesn't want help, even though she does need it sometimes...like everyone does. The story begins when a new girl, Cindy, moves in across the street from Megan and Megan decides that they will be best friends.
Cindy and Megan go to Y camp together and there is the usual jealousy when Megan starts to become better friends with another girl. What I liked about the book is that while it does give a good perspective into a deaf child's world, it isn't all "This is a book about a deaf child. Let us feel sorry for her." You can't feel sorry for Megan. She's got guts and she's got what it takes to get along and succeed in the world. And even though she is nasty...I guess, yeah, you can't help but like her. So, Megan. You are officially not able to be a Pre Teen Sensation. You are just too normal!

No comments:

Post a Comment