What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Twinkle Twinkle Little Zarr

I've read a few books by Sara Zarr and always look forward to a new offering from her.   As usual, I was not disappointed.  Once Was Lost is my most favorite, just because of my personal experiences, but The Lucy Variations is wonderful, even to someone like me, who has no artistic talent at all, and really isn't one of those "music is my life" kinda person.    For Lucy, music is her life.  Or it was.  When she was a child prodigy on the piano and her grandfather was pushing her to be better and better and the piano was everything and everything was the piano.  And then, one day, she just walked off stage at a competition.  And that was that.  And now, Lucy is trying to find out who she is, apart from the music.  Or can the music still be a part of her life.  I loved the details of Lucy's relationships with men.  I was totally like this when I was her age.  I totally understood what she was doing, what she was thinking, how her heart was breaking.    Zarr just can really make characters come alive.  Great author.  Great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment