What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

I think I'm detecting a theme here!

After reading The Girls and Zombie Blondes, reading Before I Fall seemed to go right along with it. Also it reminded me of Gimme a Call, too but make no mistake, Before is totally original and totally worth the read- big time. The girls in Before are vicious and horrible, or well, human, like th girls in The Girls and Zombie. The book starts with Sam dying in a car accident that she is in with her best friends Aly, Elody and Lindz. The four girls are the "IT" girsl in school- the Zombies if you will. They can do anything they want and get away with it all.
After Sam dies, she wakes up the next day and discovers that she has to relive the day over and over again. This is where the similarity to Gimme comes in. After reading Gimme I stood by my all-time feeling that no, you should not want to change anything in your past. But after reading this, I'm not so sure. This is a great book for discussion. It is kind of depressing, though, in places. It is a big book. 470 pages, but I blew through it very quickly for me. I just couldn't keep away from it. As an aside, I especially loved the description of Sam's feelings about her first kiss that meant something to her. It was so right on the money. Excellent book. I was sad to see it end.

No comments:

Post a Comment