What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, August 23, 2010

My Heart Goes Drifting Down the Dusty, Dixie Road

taking my mind, back in time. L.A. lights burn like hell, once you know, you left Heaven waiting down the Dixie Road. This is a great song, and back in the day, I thought Lee Greenwood was SUCH a hottie!
Um. That has nothing to do with anything, huh?
The Road to Paris sounds like an exotic, foreign book but it actually takes place in the Good Ole U.S. of A. It is another book dealing with foster care! This one shows the good and the bad together. Paris and her older brother Malcolm are placed into the foster care system after their mother makes a series of totally horrible choices like drinking too much and hooking up with men who don't want the hassle of children. Their first foster home is awful. Though Malcolm tries to protect his little sister, there isn't much he can do to protect her or himself from the beatings and other cruelties they experience. They are placed in new homes, but separated. Malcolm must go to a group home and Paris goes to the Lincoln family. The Lincolns are really loving and caring yet Paris is naturally cautious. The book deals with Paris' relationship with her birth mother and her foster parents, and the prejudice she experiences being a biracial child. I love Grimes' description of Paris' church and Easter Sunday and especially the way the Paris "keeps God in her pocket" so that she knows she is never alone. I laughed out loud at the description of Dr. Stein, the shrink that Paris is made to see because she's in the foster care system. The way she scams him is hilarious and a commentary on psychiatry that I really appreciated. A sweet story full of heartbreak and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment