What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, December 27, 2010

I believe this to be so...

Love is the Higher Law, that is.  I admit I am not an obsessed U2 fan.  I have nothing against, U2.  It seems that they are lovely bunch of folks, I just don't know their music well.  Bono seems like a very cool dude.  I have heard some of their music and it is very, very good!  I just don't know them very well, but maybe I will make that a 2011 goal, get to know U2 better.  That will be yet another thing that came out of my reads in 2010. 
David Levithan's Love is the Higher Law gets it's title from the U2 song, One.  A song I don't know but I will listen to someday. 
So this book probably wasn't the best choice to read on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, especially when you are already prone to "downerness" as I am.  But actually this book wasn't as depressing as it seems.  Yes it is about 9-11 and yes it takes place right near Ground Zero and yes it is full of tragedy.  But, as Levithan says on his website, "It's the story of three teenagers in New York on 9/11, and how their lives intertwine in the days and weeks and months that follow. I know this sounds grim, but it's really the story of things coming together even as it feels like the world is falling apart -- because that's how it felt to be in New York at that time, both tragic because of the events that happened and magical in the way that everyone became their better selves in the face of it. It's a love story between friends, a love story for a city, and a love story for love itself, and the way it can get us through things, however daunting or shocking they may be. Or at least that's what I aimed for. I hope you'll read it and let me know if I got there."
I do think he got there, indeed.  I found it to be definitely a love story for a city. 
I also loved the way one character, Claire, said that, shortly after 9-11, she was worried that the country was moving from "United We Stand" to "God Bless America" and I know what she meant.  I am all for God Blessing America.  And I am all for America Blessing God, by really acting like people who believe in God and showing love to ALL people.  So I believe in God Bless Us EVERYONE, which is another way of saying United We Stand, I think.  So how about United We Stand, Asking God's Blessing, and Asking That We Will Be a Blessing to All. 
Well I guess that's too much for a t-shirt.
This is a very, very good book.  I do wish that, when talking about music in the book, Levithan might have mentioned what I feel is the very best 9-11 song, "Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning".  Maybe he never heard of it.  But it is a great one.
Well that is neither here nor there, is it.  Anyway, I do love Mr. Levithan.  And I do recommend this book, maybe not to read on Christmas. :)  But to read for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment