What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

For the first time in the United States of America!

At first I was confused.  I downloaded Double by Jenny Valentine from netgalley.com.  It lists the publication date as February 2012, but when I looked up Double on goodreads, I found the book The Double Life of Cassiel Roadnight had be published in 2010.  I thought maybe it was a sequel or something, but then I realized that it was published in the U.K. back then and now, next year, it will come out here in the U.S.  The cover of the U.S. edition looks way cooler than the U.K. one.  But I guess it's the same book inside, right?
I wonder why they chose to release it in the U.S.  I guess that sounds harsh, huh?  It was nominated for the Carnegie Medal.  Maybe that's why.  I mean, the book is okay.  It's kinda like an updated, but not as good, version of the Face on the Milk Carton books by Cooney.  It's not as believable though, if you ask me.
Chap has been living on his own since his grandfather took a bad, drunken fall and was sent to a home.  One day he is recognized as Cassiel Roadnight, a kid who looks remarkably like him and who has been missing for two years.  It all happens pretty quickly.  Chap's got nowhere to go, he's always longed for a home, he figures that Cassiel has a family waiting for him, why not pretend to be Cassiel and make everyone happy?
Obviously it isn't that easy.  What happened to the real Cassiel Roadnight?  Will he show up someday and proclaim Chap as an impostor?  And who is Chap?  He doesn't even really know.
This is a short book but it took me a long time to get through because I didn't find any of the characters to be likable at all and I had the feeling that I had read the story before...probably the Milk Carton stories...but this one wasn't as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment