What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Al Stewart

Have you thought about Al Stewart today? I must admit that I have been thinking a lot about him lately.  All while I was reading The Year of the Rat, I was singing The Year of the Cat in my head.  There is no Year of the Cat in the Chinese Zodiac as Pacy's dad explains in this sequel to The Year of the Dog.  Turns out the Year of the Cat is part of the Vietnamese Zodiac.  I love learning new things!
Once again, Grace Lin has taught me a lot!  TYOTR explains more Chinese and Taiwanese traditions.  Pacy and her family are Taiwanese, not Chinese, but they speak both languages (plus English) and I need to really find out more about China and Taiwan so that I can understand the whole thing a lot better.
This sequel is more serious than the first, as I guess it is as you grow, life that was once a bowl of cherries, sometimes feels just like the pits.  Pacy's best friend moves to California, Pacy is confused about what she wants to do when she gets older.  Loved this book and I am going to read Dumpling Days next!

No comments:

Post a Comment