What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?


Born Wicked is the first in a new series, The Cahill Witch Chronicles. I am quite sad that the second book won't be out until next February! I think this might be the first alternate history books I've ever read. Man, it is so good! It takes place in New England before 1900 where The Brotherhood runs everything. Cate and her two sisters are witches but they have to keep it a secret from everyone, even their dad, because the Bros would send them off to an asylum or to a prison ship. Women have no rights at all. They have to be married off at eighteen or join the Sisterhood. It was weird to hear the girls talk of all of the fashions in Dubai and the rights of Arab women, etc. when we think of "those places" has having been and still being very backward when it comes to women's rights. But in BW, women are WAY behind in the rights deal.
This isn't the fun side of magic, like Hex Hall, though both books use the word "niggling" a lot! And both are trilogies and both deal with magic and arranged marriages and loving someone you shouldn't love, but the similarities end there, as this is a more serious book and deals with issues of women's rights. I loved HH and I am going to LOVE this series as well, if the first book is any indication!

No comments:

Post a Comment