What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

New Series to Love!

Love my latest Kindle checkout from the library!  Kimberly Reid's My Own Worst Fremeny, the first in the Langdon Prep series.  The second one just came out and I'm totally buying it tomorrow and ordering the series for the library.
This first book was such a great one.  The main character, Chanti, is clever, kind, ornery, and all of the things that make a main character appealing.
Chanti comes from a transitional neighborhood in Denver and when she gets in some trouble over the summer, her mom decides that she will be attending the snooty Langdon Prep on a scholarship.  There are all kinds of trouble waiting for Chanti at Langdon and mysteries to solve.  I hope that each of the books has a mystery to it, that would be really cool, but even if they don't, I'll be reading the rest!  The book concludes with discussion questions dealing with some of the issues that Chanti faces like friends who get into trouble, dumping old friends to get cooler ones, racial and economic profiling, and  the relationship between police and society.  What a great, great book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment