What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, May 7, 2012

Terrible Cheesy Cover, Really Great Book

Where I Belong has a sad cover.  Not sad as in the picture makes one feel bad, but sad as in the cover looks so dated and annoying that it will be hard to fight that urge to judge what's inside by what's on the outside.  I have to admit that if I saw this on the shelf, I never would have read it.  I checked it out from the library as an ebook and so I didn't pay much mind to the tiny cover and I am glad, because this book was really good.  Right now there is a special on the ebook and if you're looking for a good read, download it.  You won't be disappointed.
Corrinne lives in NYC with her mom, dad and little brother Tripp.  They live the high life, galas, Barneys, private schools, the whole deal.  Corrinne's a snob and she admits that right away, so it is hard to dislike her.  She also admits that her life sounds like a stereotype, but it isn't at all.  She's living a dream, headed to Kent in the fall to room with her totally spoiled BFF, snag a hot upperclassman named Smith of all things.  But then, the recession comes to Corrinne's family.  Her dad loses his job and all of a sudden, Corrinne and Tripp are headed to a tiny Texas town, a few hours from Dallas, a few hours from ANYWHERE actually.
The culture shift is a lot for Corrinne as you can imagine, but her true character shines through.  The book was surprising in that it really didn't fall into the easy stereotypes that where there for the easy falling.  As one reader on goodreads.com said, this is a charming book.  I loved it.  I'll be looking for more from Gwendolyn Heasley.

No comments:

Post a Comment