What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

If You are of "a certain age" and from Pittsburgh...

if you listen to the audio book of Gordon Korman's Unsinkable, the first in his Titanic Trilogy, you will think of Patti Burns a lot!  When you listen to an audio book, of course, you don't know how the characters' names are spelled.  Even know I knew that the stowaway on the Titanic, the homeless boy from Belfast was probably named Paddy Burns, (he is) every time I heard the narrator say his name I thought of Patti.  I miss Patti.  All of Pittsburgh does.
This is a neat way of telling the story of the Titanic.  Fiction and nonfiction.  The story of four characters who were on that fateful voyage.  One is Paddy Burns, a stowaway, trying to escape thugs who are out to kill him.  Another is Alfie, a boy of fifteen who lied about his age to get a job on the Titanic with his father, who is a boiler dude.  Sophie, the daughter of an American suffragette, who has been through out of England for stirring up trouble and another girl...I can't remember her name, but she is as interesting a character as the others, I just can't recall her name!  She is the wealthy daughter of British royalty.  The four meet up on the ship and they are characters you can care about, all the while thinking about what is coming ahead for them on the high seas.

No comments:

Post a Comment