What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

When you really don't like a character.

I am not an artist.  I am not an artist, outsider hero, like the ones allegedly in this book.  That probably has impacted my attitude toward Radiant Days.  If you are an artist, you may love this book.  I am even recommending it to my friends who are artists.  But man, I really didn't like this book.  Half of it anyway.
The book is told from two POVs.  One from the perspective of Arthur Rimbaud.  I loved his parts.  Based on actual accounts of his life.
Merle is the other POV and she is a homosexual artist who really needs to just get a freakin job instead of thinking that her job is to make art.  Grow up and give me a freakin break.  Get a job and make art on your freakin day off.  Oh it was praised up and down and all over the place.  And maybe if you are an artist, you will love it.  I just couldn't stand Merle at all.  What a selfish piece of trash.  Rimbaud's parts are hilarious and powerful.   The book is super well written and I can appreciate the writing...its just that Merle is SO obnoxious and never proves herself to be anything more than a jerk, in my eyes.  She just ruined it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment