What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

It's Not Butter...It's Parkour!


What We Saw at Night drew me in immediately.  It is set in Northern Minnesota, an area I know and love well, and filled with intrigue, I was turning the pages (virtually) quickly.  The book is the story of three teens with Xeroderma Pigmetosum, a rare genetic disorder that means they must live in darkness, because being in the sunlight is lethal.  At first it might not seem too bad to have to stay out of the light, but as you learn their stories, through the POV of high school senior, Allie, you come to understand what a troubling disorder it is.  The teens never think much about what they want to be when they grow up, who they will marry, where they will live, because odds are, they won't be living that long.   
One of the teens, a mysterious girl named Juliette, takes up the art of parkour, which is also featured in My Life as a Stuntboy, and the three friends spend their nights climbing buildings and bridges and practicing.  Then they witness what may or may not have been a murder.  And somehow Juliette is involved with the suspect.
The mystery is good, but the end kind of unravels for me.  I do blame it on myself, as I am not a patient reader and I thought it was a little drawn out.  Still I will buy this book for the library and recommend it because it is well written and deals with interesting and unique issues.   

No comments:

Post a Comment