What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Another one

Okay so I do love audible.com. At first I was skeptical about it, thinking I would just cancel after I got my free book but no, I was sucked in and now look forward to my credit every month and the other perks that come with membership.
My credit this month went for iDisorder. I saw the book at the library but wanted to listen to it and my experience with borrowed audio is always disappointing so I bought it. Oh man. This is gonna be a fun one.
First of all the author is a psychiatrist. I knew that going in, so what was I thinking? Secondly he loved the letter I. It is his most favorite letter! I haven't read a nonfiction book, apart from an autobiography or memoir, that uses I as much as this one and I am only into the first hour!
Thinking back to the last nonfiction I read, which was Great By Choice, Collins never once says I. And I don't think he did in Good to Great either. It was always "we." Granted, Great by Choice has a co- author, but everyone knows that a book is not created by one person and I think that Dr. Rosen's chronic use of "I" means that he is a true superman and did all the research on this own or he is seriously way too self-involved. Thirdly, half hour into the book and he quoted Sherry Turkle! Yes! My good buddy Sherry Turkle. Unreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment