What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Al Had a Book Club

Maybe he still does, but I can't find anything after 2011.  But for more than a few years, NBC's Al Roker had a book club for kids.  One of the books that he chose was Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It.  If the other books that he chose for his club are as good as this one, I am going to read anything Al Roker ever tells me someone to read.  Brendan Buckley was available on audio download from my local library and I needed something.  When I saw that Sundee T. Frazier had won the Coretta Scott King - John Steptoe Award for New Talent in 2008, I knew I had to download and have a listen.
Man, man, man!  This book was awesome!  I loved Brendan, his mom, his dad, his grandma.  Man, man, man.  This book is so funny and so real and so amazing.  The main story itself is incredible.  But as a bonus, the stuff you learn along the way about rocks and minerals and Tae Kwon Do, is so totally interesting and made me want to learn even more about rocks and TKD.
I am now reading Frazier's The Other Half of My Heart and loving it.   There is also a sequel to Brendan Buckley's Universe, but after that, nothing.  I hope that Frazier is still writing.  She is incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment