What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, December 9, 2013

Printz Buzz


With the end of the year fast approaching, the Mock Printz Awards are all the buzz.  One book that has gotten so much is Holly Black's The Coldest Girl in Coldtown.  I had recently read Black's Doll Bones, which is getting Newbery buzz, but IMO, it is too good to actually win.  I like vampire books.  But I am not a fanatic about them.  I loved listening to Dracula.  And I loved the Twilight books, even though I was Team JacobThe Coldest Girl was pretty good.  It was long man, really long.  I listened to it on 3 speed and it was still long, but yet, the world that Black has created is amazing.  I really feel like I want to know more about it.  I wonder if I should have read it, but I don't know, it was super long.  I like Tana, the main character, who lives in a world where vampires are known evil things in this world.  Folks have to be pretty careful not to get caught out after dark.  Infected folks and vampires live in places called Coldtowns.  There is a lot of vampire myth and lore packed into this book.  Even though vampires are deadly, they are pretty sexy too.  Still, if I had to pick a vampire to be my man, it would be Lucius Vladescu.  When will Ms. Fantasky bring him back!  If you like a good vampire story, though, you won't be disappointed in Coldest.  It is creepy. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment