What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Wonderful Book

The Other Half of My Heart is one of the best books that I read so far in 2013.   Every character is rich and interesting.  I just wish that there was another book.  This is one of those deals where you wish it was a series!  Mini and Keira are twins, Mini is more light-skinned and resembles her Caucasian father, whereas Keira looks like her African American mother.  The book is told from Mini's perspective, and from her POV, the issue of their physical differences has never been an issue at all.  This summer, however, Their maternal grandma wants them to come for two weeks in one of the Carolinas (I can't remember which one) to compete in the Miss Black Pearl Pre Teen Program.  Sundee Frazier is a sensitive and amazing writer who addresses this very sensitive and important issue in a way that everyone can understand.  It is a wonderful portrayal of race, family, sisters, growing up, everything.  Loved, loved, loved this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment