What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, August 7, 2014

A World of Adventure

Captive is a book in Gary Paulsen's World of Adventure series.  I didn't know this until after I had listened to it.  I know that Mr. Paulsen has done a couple of series like this:  Tales to Tickle Your Funny Bone and Culpepper Adventure among them.  Of course he has other series books, but for some reason my head puts these three series in a different category.  I have no idea why.  They just seem shorter and, WoA and TTTYFB all have different characters.  Maybe that is why.   This was my first WoA book and it was very different from the other Paulsen books I have read.  I did like it.  It was fast moving and it had a lot of action, but lacked the meaning and power of a book like Alida's Song or The Car or Tiltwhirl John or, oh man, I could go on forever.  Is this a book I would recommend?  Yes, sure!  It is well done, just like every other thing Paulsen has ever written, probably including his grocery lists.  This isn't a book that everyone MUST read though, and it isn't a tale for all ages, like so many of his others.  It is just an fast-moving action-based story about a group of criminals who kidnap some high school students.  So if you are looking for a good action-packed adventure, especially for reluctant reader dudes, this is a great pick!

No comments:

Post a Comment